It is in obedience to the mandate of the resurrected Jesus and to prolong his mission on earth that our Society was founded with the specific aim of training and supplying wherever there is need, dedicated, hardworking and saintly missionaries. (Cf. Const. Art. 5) Thus Vocation promotion and Formation of the seminarians are very important as far as the specific aim of the Society is concerned and it will be the primary duty of all the members.
The Vocation Promoters promote worthy candidates for the priesthood. The Province admits on an average 30 students a year into the Minor seminary. The students are generally admitted after they complete the 10th& 12th grades in the school and also those completed graduation. The average age of admission is between 15-20 years.
1. Minor Seminary (i) Minimum 3 years for those who have completed the 10th class. (ii) Minimum 2 years for those who have completed the 12th class or equivalent. (iii) Minimum 1 year for those who have completed graduation. The Province has 1 minor seminary. St. Francis Xavier Minor Seminary, Nanguneri, Thirunenlvelli, Tamil Nadu, India.
2. A year of Spiritual Orientation in Heralds Spirituality Centre, Krukuru, A.P, India.
3. Study of Philosophy lasting three years, during which the student obtains a graduation from a secular university too. The Society has its own Philosophy Seminary / Philosophate in St. Joseph’s Major Seminary, Khammam, T.S, India for all the provinces together.
4. A year of intensive training in pastoral life in the mission field, away from studies. This year helps the student to have a self evaluation and to decide about the future, as he would have passed from adolescence to manhood.
5. After this year, before commencing the study of theology, the student is inducted into the Society as a temporary member, which will be renewed every year until the perpetual promise and is given cassock.
6. Theology course lasting seven semesters (3.5 years). At the end of theology course, he makes his permanent commitment to the Society and is ordained a deacon. The Society has its own theology seminary/ Theologate, St. Joseph’s Major Seminary, Khammam, T.S, India for all the provinces together.
7. Diaconate Ministry and Ordination to Priesthood: The newly ordained deacons are sent to the missions to directly involve in the pastoral ministry for a period of 6 to 8 months. This helps them to equip themselves with practical skills in taking care of the missions. At the end of the pastoral ministry they are ordained priests.
The Formation Programme envisages the harmonious growth and integration of human, social, intellectual and spiritual dimensions in the person's life (holistic growth and development). The value of manual labour and the importance of hardworkis stressed in order to train dedicated, hardworking and saintly missionaries.
Heralds of Good News is an indigenous Clerical Missionary Society of Apostolic Life of Pontifical Right. Whose principal seat is established in the Diocese of Eluru, Andhra Pradesh, India. Read More...